God is Love so we Abide in Love
Scripture: 1 John 4:13–4:21
True Life: 1 John
God is love, so we abide in love
1 John 4:13-21
God is love, so we if we love we abide in Him and don’t fear judgment
13 By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. 19 We love because he first loved us. 20 If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.
1) We know we abide in God and He in us because He has given us of His Spirit, 4:13.
2) The apostles saw and testified that the Father sent the Son to be the world’s Savior, 4:14.
3) The one who confesses Jesus is God’s Son, God abides in him, and he in God, 4:15.
4) We know God’s love: God is love so he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him, 4:16.
5) God’s love is perfected with us so we have confidence for judgment day, 4:17.
6) Perfect love casts out fear of punishment so he who fears is not perfected in love, 4:18.
7) We love because God first loved us, 4:19.
8) He who hates his brother whom he has seen can’t love God whom he hasn’t seen, 4:20.
9) We have this commandment from Jesus: he who loves God must also love his brother, 4:21.