Man's Rejection of God
Scripture: Romans 1:18–1:23
Romans: The Gospel for God’s glory
Man’s rejection of God
God’s wrath is being revealed against man’s rejection of God’s truth and glory
1) God’s wrath is being revealed against man’s unrighteousness in suppressing the truth, 1:18.
How does v. 18 connect with what Paul says in v. 17? What is God’s wrath? In the context of Romans 1, how is God’s wrath being revealed against the ungodliness and unrighteousness of men see vss. 24, 26, 28)?
2) Men suppress what is known about God, which he has made plainly evident to them, 1:19.
What is the truth people suppress?
3) God’s power and divinity are perceived in the things made so they have no excuse, 1:20.
Specifically, what truths about God has he made plainly evident to them and how has he made it evident?
How does what God has revealed about himself contradict Darwinism (naturalistic evolutionary worldview)?
What is the significance of people being without excuse for not clearly perceiving what God has shown them?
4) Though men knew God, they did not glorify him as God or give him thanks, 1:21.
What is “the greatest sin in the universe”?
5) So men became futile in their thinking and their foolish hearts were darkened, 1:21.
What are the consequences of not glorifying God or giving him thanks?
6) Though men claimed to be wise, they became fools, 1:22.
7) Men exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images of mortal men and creatures, 1:23.
Why is idolatry so inevitable if we refuse to glorify god and give him thanks? In what ways have people exchanged the glory of God for images and created things?
What is operating in the place of Jesus Christ as your real, functional salvation and savior? What are you looking to justify yourself? To who or what do you look to for life-sustaining stability, security and acceptance? What do you feel that you MUST have to be happy, fulfilled or significant?