Harvest Community Church exists to glorify God by making disciples for Jesus Christ from all peoples through gospel-centered mission, growth and community.
Our mission statement sums up our answers to two questions:
What does Harvest exist for?
- To glorify God – Harvest exists to make much of God, to magnify His greatness in all that we do, think and say. It’s not about us, it’s about Him! To glorify God is to worship God. To glorify God is the ultimate aim of all life and ministry.
- Making disciples for Jesus Christ – Jesus said the main purpose of the church is to make disciples for Him, Matthew 28:19-20. A disciple is one who learns the way of life of another – his thinking, his speech, his heart, his passion. Jesus said we do this as we go about everyday life as well as intentional mission efforts, baptize, and teach others to obey all He commanded us.
- From all peoples – Jesus said His disciples are to make disciples from ALL people groups – from every language group, culture and ethnic background. All people groups need the grace, mercy, truth and life Jesus gives to those who hope in Him.
How does Harvest make disciples for Jesus Christ?
- Gospel-centered – the central message of the Bible is the gospel (good news) of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The good news is good because the bad news is bad: every person has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. The good news is there is a way to receive forgiveness and eternal life with God – through faith in Jesus, because of His death and resurrection! So making disciples for Jesus requires keeping the gospel central.
- Mission – gospel works that provide the opportunity for gospel words that invite and call people to become disciples of Jesus Christ. A gospel-centered church is a church on mission with Jesus, to spread the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ.
- Growth – living as Jesus’ disciple means growing more and more into His likeness. The church, as the body of Christ, grows in Christ through the teaching of the Bible, which is the gospel-centered word of Christ, put into practice by the obedience of faith.
- Community – is sharing our life in Christ together. It is doing mission together, growing in learning and obeying Christ’s word together, serving one another, bearing one another’s burdens. Gospel-centered community means community that is healing, redemptive and transformational. It means coming together to stir up one another to love and good works, speaking Christ’s truth in love to each other.